Code Of Ethics
SBT Club of Canada members shall:
maintain the best possible standards of health care for their dogs. This includes all matters pertaining to the physical and mental well being of their dogs, including appropriate nutrition, shelter, health checks, immunization, training, and regular exercise.
As a responsible breeder:
I shall breed only from mature healthy dogs and bitches which are believed to be clear from painful hereditary faults and which are of sound Stafford temperament as defined in the Breed Standard. It is highly recommended that all breeding stock be tested for genetic faults before they are bred. Such tests should include, but are not limited to, PHPV/HC, OFA, CERF, and Brucellocious.
Puppies or older stock shall not be sold to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet outlets, research facilities nor will I allow my Stafford to be given as a prize in any contest of any kind. No breeding shall be done for commercial gain.
All puppies sold will be registered with the Canadian Kennel Club and accompanied by a copy of the Breed Standard, an accurate three-generation pedigree, a copy of the Code of Ethics. These puppies shall be in good health and shall have received their first vaccinations. All health records and instructions for feeding and care shall be given to the new owners.
- I will comply with the Breed Standard where applicable in all matters relating to the breed and remember that we are the person(s) responsible for the welfare and future of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Canada.
- I will comply with the bylaws of the Canadian Kennel Club, where they apply to my Stafford, and me and my dealings with said governing body in all matters under their jurisdiction.
- I shall never, under any circumstances, condone, support, or ignore the practice of pitting a dog against any other animal in a fight for pleasure or profit. Information regarding this type of abuse to animals shall be reported to the appropriate humane authorities and to the police.
- As a Stafford owner I shall stay abreast of all current Provincial and Municipal laws and legislation related to dogs. My awareness can help the prevention of Breed Specific Laws. I will take the time to educate the public regarding the breed and exhibit tolerant and courteous behaviour.
- When participating in competitions, I will refrain from the use of vicious, disparaging, false, and misleading statements about judges, fellow competitors, and other Stafford owners and their dogs. I will conduct myself in such a manner as to reflect credit on the sport of purebred dogs in general and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in particular.